Can't access web GUI from WAN - Other services OK, LAN OK

Get help with all aspects of SABnzbd
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
raiderj

Can't access web GUI from WAN - Other services OK, LAN OK

Post by raiderj »

Trying to set up SABnzbd to be accessible from outside my LAN (work, phone, etc). Currently I don't have any issues getting to the GUI from my LAN, but I can't access it from outside my network. Other services, such as RDP and FTP work remotely.

* I have Dynamic DNS set up, so going to FTP:// goes to my FTP server running on the server. Same with RDP.

* In my router, I have ports 21(FTP), 3389(RDP), and 8080(SABnzbd) forwarded for both TCP and UDP going to my server's LAN IP (192.168.1.10)

* Currently have 0.5.1RC2 SABnzbd running. In the Config menu, I have HOST=192.168.1.10, and PORT=8080. Have done a restart of SABnzbd.

* Server is running WinXP Pro, SP2. Firewall has exceptions for SABnzbd.exe, ports 21, 3389, and 8080.

* Firefox gives an error, "The server at is taking too long to respond."

Thoughts? I think it's something with SABnzbd since my other services work. I have also tried setting the HOST in SABnzbd config to both 0.0.0.0 and leaving it blank. No change.
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Can't access web GUI from WAN - Other services OK, LAN OK

Post by shypike »

Did you tell the Windows firewal that SABnzbd can communicate
with "The Internet" and not just your local LAN?
raiderj

Post by raiderj »

Checked the "scope" of the application in Windows Firewall, that was set to "any computer", and includes those on the internet. No change there.

Found out this..... when I set my server to be in the DMZ in my router (running DD-WRT), the web GUI is now accessible over the WAN. So, it seems that for whatever reason the ports aren't being forwarded properly. Odd though that the other ports would work, but not 8080.

EDIT: Now, I've turned off the DMZ, left the port forwarding how it was. GUI is working over the WAN. Going to reboot the router to see if the settings stay - guess it was just a router quirk!

EDIT2: Still working after a router reboot. Guess that's all it needed! Not sure why DD-WRT didn't apply the forwarding before, I don't recall it needing a reboot.
Last edited by raiderj on April 12th, 2010, 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by shypike »

Unrelated: I recently dumped dd-wrt and reinstalled the original Linksys software.
Reason: dd-wrt refuses to connect with an iPod.
raiderj

Post by raiderj »

Tested this again, tried adding a forwarding port for another service. That port also did not take until I restarted DD-WRT.

On a side note, the mobile interface works great on an iPhone!