New Installation - Will Not Download Or "Connect"

Get help with all aspects of SABnzbd
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
thune

New Installation - Will Not Download Or "Connect"

Post by thune »

I just installed the program for the first time and everything went well
It a new download from this website 5.0.
I took all my settings from a working XNews to Giganews and copied them over exactly. Did it twice in fact.
All looks OK and the server is set up with everything xnews uses and is "enabled", 20 connections, Nothing missing.
The .nzb loads up fine from my hard drive, and reads out as it should in all the queue columns.
But it just will not start to download regardless of pause/resume settings.
I'm on high speed cable internet through a simple 4 port hard wired D-Link router.
I've gone back to Xnews and everything connects and downloads just as always. No problems.
This program stays on "paused" in the activity line on the right hand side at all times.
No error messages or anything.  I've shut down and restarted the program 5 or 6 times.
Total computer reboot has no effect (Windows XP Sp-2).
After 4 hours of fooling around, I decided the only way is to come to this forum.
I just get zero download response.

Any ideas.... :o

Bob  (Las Cruces - New Mexico)

Update.... I have a portable version of Newsleecher with NBZ support and it fired up and downloaded the same NBZ with no sweat.  But I continue to get no response out of this program relative to connecting up.

Another Update ----  Erased Everything.  Went to a mirror and downloaded again. Reinstalled.  Test on install said it WAS connected. Went to program.  Loaded NBZ. Hit pause, reset.  It would NOT connect.  Rechecked server, it has connections and is enabled.  Rechecked Xnews and Newleecher, no problems.
Last edited by thune on April 15th, 2010, 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Re: New Installation - Will Not Download Or "Connect"

Post by shypike »

What are your server settings exactly?
Did you set the right port (119)?
Did you tell your virus-scanner and/or firewall to allow SABnzbd to do its work?

Please email a screenshot of your Config->Servers screen to bugs at sabnzbd.org
thune

Problem Solved !

Post by thune »

This problem required two changes.

1. While my other newsgroup readers are set for port 0, this program would not connect on port 0, so I changed it to 119.

2. Then again, in a change I do not have to make for either Xnews or Newsleecher, I have to disable McAfee On-Access Scan.

I'm using Windows Internet Explorer 7.0

Bob
Last edited by thune on April 14th, 2010, 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by shypike »

119 is the standard port for Usenet.
Often you can use other ports too, but never 0 or 1.
This is determined by the Usenet server, not by SABnzbd.

We do not hold a high opinion of most virus scanners and firewalls.
Consider filing a complaint with McAfee.
thune

Post by thune »

Shypike....
Thanks for all the help.

Of interest is that I just found on another blog that XNews asks you to enter port "0" as the default. But in actuality, it unknowingly and automatically transfers that "0" defaulted entry to Port 119.   Hence.... The problem, for me.  I just left it at "0" (something that worked), not knowing that for SABnzbd it has to be entered as it really is, port 119.

Also, this person who seems to know quite a bit says some ISP's can and do throttle port 119 connections because of P2P applications.  He says that if one's 119 port connection is very slow, try using 8080 or 1818. Some people report these ports will connect, while others say they will not, depending on the application they are using.  Others report that in some cases where they do connect, they do run faster. He states 8080 is not usually throttled because it is the main HTTP port.

In case you are wondering, I really like XNews, but it has no NZB support.  That's why I'm here.
Last edited by thune on April 15th, 2010, 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
inpheaux
Administrator
Administrator

Post by inpheaux »

thune wrote: Also, this person who seems to know quite a bit says some ISP's can and do throttle port 119 connections because of P2P applications.  He says that if one's 119 port connection is very slow, try using 8080 or 1818. Some people report these ports will connect, while others say they will not, depending on the application they are using.  Others report that in some cases where they do connect, they do run faster. He states 8080 is not usually throttled because it is the main HTTP port.
You say you have Giganews in the first post. Do you have a plan with SSL (Diamond, or one of the other plans + SSL)? If you do, and you're concerned about being throttled, change the port to 563 and tick the SSL box.
thune

Post by thune »

inpheaux

I have no throttle problem myself, but it's good to know.  I see where Comcast is paying out a huge uncontested settlement on this issue, rather than fight it in court.  They are not admitting guilt, just paying out to a big bunch of customers someplace, I can't remember.  I don't use SSL, (I'm Silver) so that one is not an issue too, but like I said, good to know.

Comcast here in Las Cruces, NM did just put a 250 gig a month limit on while stating 99+ percent of their customers come nowhere near that. But that will probably be the next lawsuit they will pay out on..... ;D

Bob.....
Last edited by thune on April 15th, 2010, 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.