AppleTV Movies and TV Show script for Mac

Come up with a useful post-processing script? Share it here!
zafari

Re: AppleTV Movies and TV Show script for Mac

Post by zafari »

Awesome, looking forward to seeing it in action.
randyharris

Post by randyharris »

Here is the script, rebuilt to require 10.6.4 minimum OS version.

Enjoy.

Download here.
zafari

Post by zafari »

Hi,

Thank you for the script. I can confirm that everything works as you say it does on OS 10.6.5. I am just running a few video files through it to check the process etc.
You did one hell of a job on this script, well done to you.
A couple of questions for you if I may..
1. Are you still willing to develop this script further ?
2. Have you any idea how/if this can be used with SickBeard in the mix ?

btw have a merry christmas.

Zafari
randyharris

Post by randyharris »

zafari wrote: Hi,

Thank you for the script. I can confirm that everything works as you say it does on OS 10.6.5. I am just running a few video files through it to check the process etc.
You did one hell of a job on this script, well done to you.
A couple of questions for you if I may..

btw have a merry christmas.

Zafari

If there is a good end result to it, and primarily for me... :) While this script will work great for SAB and iTunes device users I did make it for me. I use it literally every day and it's been a godsend for me. Glad that I took the pains to figure it all out and do it.

Briefly looked at SickBeard a while back and it confused the heck out of me, I'm just using very specific search criteria in NZBs and their RSS feeds. Not the same as TVRSS whatchamacallit site used to do, but it works fine.
randyharris

Post by randyharris »

Script updated:

- Updated race schedules for 2011 season (if you like me watch Formula1, MotoGP and or WRC - it has updated info to tag them with.)
- Updated for file type *.ts, ran across a download that was type *.ts and the script wasn't set to process it, now it is.

Here is the script, rebuilt to require 10.6.4 minimum OS version.

Enjoy.

newer version posted.
Last edited by randyharris on April 1st, 2011, 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
BennyHogan

Post by BennyHogan »

Only read the 1st page of the thread.....curious why you didn't just jailbreak your AppleTV and install PLEX so it would "just work" without dealing with converting all your media into a format Apple 'approves'??
randyharris

Post by randyharris »

BennyHogan wrote: Only read the 1st page of the thread.....curious why you didn't just jailbreak your AppleTV and install PLEX so it would "just work" without dealing with converting all your media into a format Apple 'approves'??
Easier to not mess with it in my opinion, plus the fact that when I re-encode the movies they are small size but still excellent quality, so it takes less disk space to store a library. I can sync with my iPhone, watch on AppleTV - easy peasy for use. I dig it. Certainly running xbmc or plex or similar is an option but I'm not fond of hacks for various reasons especially on an underpowered AppleTV box. Certainly it took me effort to build this script - but it was a challenge and fun. And for a LONG time now it has been working like an absolute champ for  me, love it.

Just recently I setup CouchPotatoApp and Sick Beard, those have been sweet additions to the mix as well.
BennyHogan

Post by BennyHogan »

PLEX works like a dream on my AppleTV......easily streams 1080p 10gb files.....also use it on my iPad!!

I messed around setting up SICKBEARD a long time ago, but found it really confusing coming from using simple rss feeds like medianzb.com.....any tips for a n00b to get this implemented into my SABNZBD downloading??
Just started reading about CouchPotato as well, also seems confusing to properly setup??
randyharris

Post by randyharris »

BennyHogan wrote: PLEX works like a dream on my AppleTV......easily streams 1080p 10gb files.....also use it on my iPad!!

I messed around setting up SICKBEARD a long time ago, but found it really confusing coming from using simple rss feeds like medianzb.com.....any tips for a n00b to get this implemented into my SABNZBD downloading??
Just started reading about CouchPotato as well, also seems confusing to properly setup??
Uh, ok - congrats I suppose. I still have no interest in it.

This isn't the thread for either CouchPotatoApp or Sick Beard, I thought it was well documented on their respective websites, or just google for a tutorial, not hard to setup if you can hack Plex onto your AppleTV.

Good luck.
stevodevo

Post by stevodevo »

Hi Randy,

First - THANK you very much for this script.  It's sensational and the doc you put together is excellent too.  I've been manually downloading and handbraking my tv shows for the ATV2 and it's getting old so this script rocks!

I had another question (or maybe an enhancement) for you - I live in Australia where we have metered broadband so quite often I'll download the TV shows at work and bring them home where I'll run them through Handbrake and import them into iTunes.  Is there a way to run this script manually on a folder of items I've brought home from work?  I like the way it automatically renames and processes so would like to be able to just dump a bunch of downloaded files in a directory and have them automatically end up on my AppleTV!

Is this possible? 

Steve
randyharris

Post by randyharris »

stevodevo wrote: Hi Randy,

First - THANK you very much for this script.  It's sensational and the doc you put together is excellent too.  I've been manually downloading and handbraking my tv shows for the ATV2 and it's getting old so this script rocks!

I had another question (or maybe an enhancement) for you - I live in Australia where we have metered broadband so quite often I'll download the TV shows at work and bring them home where I'll run them through Handbrake and import them into iTunes.  Is there a way to run this script manually on a folder of items I've brought home from work?  I like the way it automatically renames and processes so would like to be able to just dump a bunch of downloaded files in a directory and have them automatically end up on my AppleTV!

Is this possible? 

Steve
I do this frequently myself, not bring the files home like you're doing, but throw files that didn't originate from SAB to my script. It's really quick and easy to do actually. You need to copy the iTunes file that is probably located in your Applications\SAB\scripts folder. I copy mine to my user root folder for easy and quick access.

Technically you can do this in the main iTunes script file that my setup uses, but you have to remember to turn off the Test Parameters and I never did... So I use a second file instead.

In this iTunes script file is the following section:

Code: Select all

###########################################
#####  Fake SABnzbd+ Test Parameters  #####
# Remove the "# " to use these for testing

echo
echo "WARNING!"
echo "Overriding SAB Parameters with these Fakes"
DIR="/Users/[YourUserName]/Downloads/This.Is.A.Test.Movie"
NAME="This.Is.A.Test.Movie"
CATEGORY="MOVIES"
STATUS="0"
echo "DIR: $DIR"
echo "NAME: $NAME"
echo "CATEGORY: $CATEGORY"
echo "STATUS: $STATUS"
echo
echo
The DIR="...This.Is.A.Test.Movie",  and the NAME="...This.Is.A.Test.Movie", and the CATEGORY="MOVIES"

Those are the three lines that you'll want to update with the proper information for the video file you want the script to work on, save the file, then from a terminal session just fire up the iTunes file. So with my file being in my user account home directory, from a terminal session I simply type: "./iTunes" [enter]

(without the quotes) and it fires up the process.

:)

I hope that helps.
Last edited by randyharris on March 28th, 2011, 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stevodevo

Post by stevodevo »

randyharris wrote: In this iTunes script file is the following section:

Code: Select all

#####  Fake SABnzbd+ Test Parameters  #####
# Remove the "# " to use these for testing

echo
echo "WARNING!"
echo "Overriding SAB Parameters with these Fakes"
DIR="/Users/[YourUserName]/Downloads/This.Is.A.Test.Movie"
NAME="This.Is.A.Test.Movie"
CATEGORY="MOVIES"
STATUS="0"
echo "DIR: $DIR"
echo "NAME: $NAME"
echo "CATEGORY: $CATEGORY"
echo "STATUS: $STATUS"
echo
echo
The DIR="...This.Is.A.Test.Movie",  and the NAME="...This.Is.A.Test.Movie", and the CATEGORY="MOVIES"

Those are the three lines that you'll want to update with the proper information for the video file you want the script to work on, save the file, then from a terminal session just fire up the iTunes file. So with my file being in my user account home directory, from a terminal session I simply type: "./iTunes" [enter]
Very nice - I'm going to try this right now.  I can see how this would do one file at a time, but say I have 5 720p tv shows in a directory (/Users/stevo/Downloads/ToProcess).  I would set the following:

DIR="/Users/stevo/Downloads/ToProcess"
NAME="*"
CATEGORY="tv 720p"

Would that work or do I have to do them one at a time?
randyharris

Post by randyharris »

stevodevo wrote: Very nice - I'm going to try this right now.  I can see how this would do one file at a time, but say I have 5 720p tv shows in a directory (/Users/stevo/Downloads/ToProcess).  I would set the following:

DIR="/Users/stevo/Downloads/ToProcess"
NAME="*"
CATEGORY="tv 720p"

Would that work or do I have to do them one at a time?

If the video files are movies then they *should* all 5 be processed one after the other. However, for TV shows the auto-tagging won't work unless you do single shows per folder and then launch the setup 5 separate times.
stevodevo

Post by stevodevo »

Makes sense - thanks.

Another question (and not sure if this is answered elsewhere) but I am interested in using iDentify alongside your script.  How do the two integrate?  How do you make them play together?
randyharris

Post by randyharris »

stevodevo wrote: Makes sense - thanks.

Another question (and not sure if this is answered elsewhere) but I am interested in using iDentify alongside your script.  How do the two integrate?  How do you make them play together?
iDentify isn't used for TV shows, but as it installs, it should be loading encoded movies into iDentify already. Maybe try installing the newest version of iDentify; in said iTunes script file is the following line:

IDENTIFY=/Applications/iDentify.app

Make sure that is where it really is located.