AppleTV Movies and TV Show script for Mac

Come up with a useful post-processing script? Share it here!
stevodevo

Re: AppleTV Movies and TV Show script for Mac

Post by stevodevo »

Thanks Randy,

I have a 'fake' iTunes script running as we speak... I have another questions while you're here!  :) 

I'm using this for my Apple TV2 and the TV shows I download are always 720p shows (.mkv files).  I want them to look like 720p shows when I watch them on my TV through the ATV - what is the optimal setting in your script for the best quality conversion?  I've got my primary iTunes device set to APPLETV in your script but was just curious if that was the best setting!  :)

-Steve
randyharris

Post by randyharris »

stevodevo wrote: Thanks Randy,

I have a 'fake' iTunes script running as we speak... I have another questions while you're here!  :) 

I'm using this for my Apple TV2 and the TV shows I download are always 720p shows (.mkv files).  I want them to look like 720p shows when I watch them on my TV through the ATV - what is the optimal setting in your script for the best quality conversion?  I've got my primary iTunes device set to APPLETV in your script but was just curious if that was the best setting!  :)

-Steve
I use an original AppleTV so haven't played with the aTV2, but assuming the AppleTV settings work fine on the ATV2, you can choose "TV 720P" and it will encode to 720P if it is compatible, meaning that the resolution is 720P or higher, and the FPS is 25fps or lower, if not it defaults to AppleTV. 720P takes significantly longer and in my opinion isn't all that huge a difference in quality on my 40" TV than the standard AppleTV settings, however, I use the 720P setting myself.
stevodevo

Post by stevodevo »

randyharris wrote: I use an original AppleTV so haven't played with the aTV2, but assuming the AppleTV settings work fine on the ATV2, you can choose "TV 720P" and it will encode to 720P if it is compatible, meaning that the resolution is 720P or higher, and the FPS is 25fps or lower, if not it defaults to AppleTV. 720P takes significantly longer and in my opinion isn't all that huge a difference in quality on my 40" TV than the standard AppleTV settings, however, I use the 720P setting myself.
The reason I was asking is that I noticed there's a preset in Handbrake for the Apple TV and one for the Apple TV 2 - so I was wondering what the difference is and if there is a better encoding option for the ATV2!  :)  What do you think?
randyharris

Post by randyharris »

stevodevo wrote:
randyharris wrote: I use an original AppleTV so haven't played with the aTV2, but assuming the AppleTV settings work fine on the ATV2, you can choose "TV 720P" and it will encode to 720P if it is compatible, meaning that the resolution is 720P or higher, and the FPS is 25fps or lower, if not it defaults to AppleTV. 720P takes significantly longer and in my opinion isn't all that huge a difference in quality on my 40" TV than the standard AppleTV settings, however, I use the 720P setting myself.
The reason I was asking is that I noticed there's a preset in Handbrake for the Apple TV and one for the Apple TV 2 - so I was wondering what the difference is and if there is a better encoding option for the ATV2!  :)  What do you think?

Just something I haven't played with, you can use the custom handbrake setting option in my script if you find it is better. If you play with it please let me know the difference. You could encode some segments for both aTV and aTV2 and do blind A-B tests and see if you can see the difference.
stevodevo

Post by stevodevo »

I'll test it out and let you know!  :) 

For TV shows - does the script do any episode look up against a tvdb at all?
randyharris

Post by randyharris »

stevodevo wrote: I'll test it out and let you know!  :) 

For TV shows - does the script do any episode look up against a tvdb at all?
nope, tags off the file name.
stevodevo

Post by stevodevo »

Hi Randy,

A little off topic... but I'm trying to set up my RSS feeds to automatically use the iTunes script and the RSS feed just automatically downloaded a show but didn't run the iTunes script of yours.  How do you set up your feeds?  I've changed each line now of the filter to use the iTunes feed, but it's time consuming and I wasn't sure what the best way is to set these up.  Take a look the pic and can you let me know what the best way is to set the RSS feed up in SABnzbd?

Thanks!
randyharris

Post by randyharris »

You need to set up the Categories section in Config, here is how mine is setup.
randyharris

Post by randyharris »

BTW - one small enhancement to make in the scripts. I just came to realize recently that some HD sports recordings are coming in at 720P or 1080 resulution and at 50fps or 60fps. The AppleTV doesn't support 50 or 60fps. So I'll put in the smarts to automatically change the fps from 50 to 25 and 60 to 30, and allow 720P if it is 50 which will become 25.
stevodevo

Post by stevodevo »

What is the Groups used for in the Categories?  I had mine set to match the Category name - where does the group come into play?
randyharris

Post by randyharris »

stevodevo wrote: What is the Groups used for in the Categories?  I had mine set to match the Category name - where does the group come into play?
I've never used groups, unaware of how they work, the script uses Categories. 
randyharris

Post by randyharris »

Script updated:

- Added an "AppleTV2" setting as primary device option, not just [original] AppleTV
- 720P 50fps can now be encoded to 720P as 25fps which the AppleTV can play, it can't play 50fps 720P content
- Updated race schedules for 2011 season for Bahrain schedule change.

Here is the script, rebuilt to require 10.6.4 minimum OS version.

Enjoy.

Download here.
iSherbet

Post by iSherbet »

This is exactly what I have been searching for!

So happy to have found this thread, gonna give it a go now

Paul
iSherbet

Post by iSherbet »

Oh dear, got a problem with the script execurting, here's what the sab log says:

Code: Select all

2011-04-22 15:50:05,935::INFO::[newsunpack:127] Running external script /Users/paul/downloaded/Scripts/iTunes(/Users/paul/downloaded/TV/My Tv Series - S01E03, My Tv Series - 1x03 - Episode name.nzb, My Tv Series - 1x03 - Episode name, 5717938, tv, alt.binaries.multimedia, 0)
2011-04-22 15:50:05,952::INFO::[newsunpack:134] Failed script /Users/paul/downloaded/Scripts/iTunes, Traceback: 
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "sabnzbd/newsunpack.pyc", line 132, in external_processing
  File "subprocess.pyc", line 621, in __init__
  File "subprocess.pyc", line 1126, in _execute_child
OSError: [Errno 13] Permission denied
I have moved the script to a folder in my downloaded area to keep things in place, when I do a get info on the iTunes script (which I edited to use my parameters as set out in the tutorial.pdf) the permissions say for me I have read/write with everyone set to read only

Can anyone help me with this error?

Many thanks
Paul
Last edited by iSherbet on April 22nd, 2011, 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
iSherbet

Post by iSherbet »

Doh!  Lets make the script executable:

chmod +x /Users/paul/downloaded/Scripts/iTunes

And we're in business, currently I can see HandbrakeCLI running in my activity monitor so I'll sit back and let that churn over for a bit