External Remote Access Help

Get help with all aspects of SABnzbd
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
Spunog

External Remote Access Help

Post by Spunog »

Hi guys,

I've been using sabnzbd for a while now but I just can't get external access to work and I think I've tried everything and tried a number of suggestions on this forum but to no avail.
The connection just times out.

***Setup***
Version: 0.5.3
Install-type:Windows Installer
Skin (if applicable): Plush
Firewall Software: Nod Smart Security
Are you using IPV6: Nope
Is the issue reproducible: Yes

I have forwarded the port in my router to the pc with sabnzbd and set up rules in my software firewall granting full access for sabnzbd to local + external connections. I have also tried disabling the filtering completely.
I have tried connect to my PC via its IP address and via dyndns service from a PC outside my network e.g. http://down.dyndns.ws:8080/sabnzbd
I also picked a port that I know is not blocked by my isp (had it briefly set to a webserver on a different pc and it worked fine from outside).
Cannot connect to sabnzbd with the username and password set or not. Similarly tried enable and disable the api-key setting but didn't think that would matter anyway. Also tried https.

I'm not sure what else to try or if I am missing any settings.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I downloaded a program called wireshark and it shows a connection attempt coming in to my pc from the external machine but other than that the information displayed is beyond my understanding, other than it listing the ip of the external machine and the internal ip and port of the machine its trying to connect to (both correct for sabnzbd).
Last edited by Spunog on July 10th, 2010, 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eejit

Re: External Remote Access Help

Post by Eejit »

Looks like you've got everything set up and the fact that you are trying to access it from a PC OUTSIDE your network. That usually gets them.
Have you tried turning off your firewall completely for the duration of testing to see if that's your problem?
Eejit - The name say's it all !!
Spunog

Post by Spunog »

Yeah I have. I've disabled the firewall part of the security suite and made sure the windows firewall didn't turn itself on either. No luck connecting even with those all turned off.

I don't know, I might just set up sabnzbd on an old laptop I have which has no software firewalls setup on it to see if I still have a problem connecting to it but haven't had any trouble with the nod firewall at all it seems to behave itself.
Spunog

Post by Spunog »

I did a clean install on that laptop and was able to connect no problem.

So wiped sabnzbd off the problem pc and did a clean install and was able to connect. I changed each setting back to how I had it and the problem was to do with the General Setting > SABnzbd Host.
I had changed this from '0.0.0.0' to '127.0.0.1' which I did when I was getting Sick Beard to work with SABNZBD. Can't remember why seems to work fine now with '0.0.0.0'

Thanks for your help.
Last edited by Spunog on July 10th, 2010, 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.