newznab - open source usenet indexer

Got a program that plays well with SABnzbd? Share it here!
RFV

Re: newznab - open source usenet indexer and all round nzbs.

Post by RFV »

there's a message pinned on the newznab chat channel about a certain newsgroup, DO NOT INDEX alt.binaries.xxxxxxx OR ASK ABOUT IT, anyone know why because it's one of the groups I've enabled.
jayjayuk1234

Post by jayjayuk1234 »

I have been trying to setup newznab, but i'm having an issue, perhaps someone can help please?

i cannot get past the install, because my news server does not require authentication, and the page won't let me leave the user and pass blank...

Thanks

Jay
ghostcorps

Post by ghostcorps »

confusedxx wrote:So far the newznab program is working fine and I am happy I donated. I am only indexing a few groups right now and have about 180 days of backfill.

However, I am not getting all the TV shows or new Movies. I am getting a lot of >Other categories. is there a list of newsgroups that should be indexed for the popular movies and TV series?
a.b.teevee is the best I've found for TV

a.b.hdtv.x264 for movies (I'm still trying to fix the names for this though)
eleqtriq

Post by eleqtriq »

If anyone is interested....

I've written for a multi-threaded batch file..of sorts... for Windows installs. I'm using XAMPP, but it should work with other windows installs as long as you change the variables at the top.

It works like this...

1. The master batch file writes an individual batch file for each group you want to update.
2. It then fires off batch files to the limit of "threads" you have specified.
3. It then waits for a batch file to finish before firing off another "thread"
4. Waits for all "threads" to finish.
5. Runs optimise_db.php (because update_releases.php processes a lot faster when this is done first)
6. Runs update_releases.php
7. Done.

It's messy in that will it launch a DOS window for each batch file and will fill the screen with black cmd.exe windows. I haven't tried running it with the Task Scheduler yet and it doesn't loop itself like the included Newznab runme.bat script does. Of course, that could be added easily.

I'm in the final stages of testing it.

I should warn you I'm no batch file writing expert, and there are some commands in it I actually don't understand...but they work. Google helped a lot.
frason

Post by frason »

allen00se wrote:I have a successfully running Neznab+ server and now I am trying to integrate it with sabnzbd, sickbeard and CP. However when I initially test it with sab it doesnt seem like they want to communicate. If i try to manually add a NZB from url it just sits in the queue and says

Trying to fetch NZB from http://10.1.1.39/getnzb/2db14735xxxxxxx ... rip-aks74u (xxxxx out some stuff in case its sensitive)

the error log says:

empty NZB file tlu-bdrip-aks74u.nzb [http://10.1.1.39/getnzb/2db14735xxxxxxx ... rip-aks74u] (xxxxx out some stuff in case its sensitive)

If I go to my newznab server and click on the download nzb link for this nzb it downloads fine, then I can uplaod the nzb to Sab and Sab will download just fine using the nzb file.

So my question is... why cant I add a nzb from url?
Did you find a solution for this? I am having the same issue. :(
ghostcorps

Post by ghostcorps »

frason wrote:
allen00se wrote:I have a successfully running Neznab+ server and now I am trying to integrate it with sabnzbd, sickbeard and CP. However when I initially test it with sab it doesnt seem like they want to communicate. If i try to manually add a NZB from url it just sits in the queue and says

Trying to fetch NZB from http://10.1.1.39/getnzb/2db14735xxxxxxx ... rip-aks74u (xxxxx out some stuff in case its sensitive)

the error log says:

empty NZB file tlu-bdrip-aks74u.nzb [http://10.1.1.39/getnzb/2db14735xxxxxxx ... rip-aks74u] (xxxxx out some stuff in case its sensitive)

If I go to my newznab server and click on the download nzb link for this nzb it downloads fine, then I can uplaod the nzb to Sab and Sab will download just fine using the nzb file.

So my question is... why cant I add a nzb from url?

Are there any errors printed when you run #php update_binaries.php and #php update_releases.php?
frason

Post by frason »

ghostcorps wrote:
frason wrote:

Are there any errors printed when you run #php update_binaries.php and #php update_releases.php?
No errors shown when updating.

edit: I even took the link that gets sent and put it in a browser and it downloaded a perfectly fine .nzb.
I'll rebuild this in a VM with Ubuntu, it worked there before. :)
ghostcorps

Post by ghostcorps »

frason wrote:
ghostcorps wrote:
frason wrote:

No errors shown when updating.

edit: I even took the link that gets sent and put it in a browser and it downloaded a perfectly fine .nzb.
I'll rebuild this in a VM with Ubuntu, it worked there before. :)
hmmm

Have you integrated SABnzb+ into newznab? There should be a button to send the file directly to SABnzb, can you see it? What happens when you use it?
frason

Post by frason »

ghostcorps wrote:
frason wrote:
ghostcorps wrote: hmmm

Have you integrated SABnzb+ into newznab? There should be a button to send the file directly to SABnzb, can you see it? What happens when you use it?
Yes, I've tried that way as well, icon shows up and everything, it gives the same result as when using the SABconnect++ extension with Chrome.
I got no clue why, as with the same URL that is sent to SABnzb+ downloads a perfectly fine in a browser.
ghostcorps

Post by ghostcorps »

Which API are you using?

I don't know if it should make a difference but I am using the Full API with Site-wide Integration in my SABnzbd+ integration settings.

Also has your nzbfiles folder been chmodded to 777?
frason

Post by frason »

I've tried with both APIs.
Yep, it's 777.

I'm rebuilding the VM now as I had it working before, will post back here with the result, hopefully the issue is gone. :)

Thank though!
fly

Post by fly »

RFV wrote:there's a message pinned on the newznab chat channel about a certain newsgroup, DO NOT INDEX alt.binaries.xxxxxxx OR ASK ABOUT IT, anyone know why because it's one of the groups I've enabled.
Because all that crap is apparently being encoded with nzpre settings we don't have.
BoRiNgBoB

Re: newznab - open source usenet indexer

Post by BoRiNgBoB »

Hi All

I have been following these forums for a while and have recently built my own Usenet server using Newznab by reading through your experiences. The server is working well however I have just made a stupid mistake and cannot reverse it, so would really appreciate any help and advice from any of you.

I was adding some additional roles into the edit roles section of the Newsnab admin panel, I have previously made it so only the admin can see the admin panel (i.e. I have hidden it from Guests, users and friends) and without thinking I changed my role from admin and I lost access to the administration of the site.

is there anyway I can change my role to admin of the site as currently I have no way of administering it.. In the back of my mind I am thinking I need to change my role in the Mysql database – would you agree or do you know of any other way?

Any suggestions would be really appreciated, can any of you help?
Killervette

Post by Killervette »

How is the preview generated? I don't get it on a lot of videos. Is there a way to get more thumbnails for a single clip?
ghostcorps

Post by ghostcorps »

Killervette wrote:How is the preview generated? I don't get it on a lot of videos. Is there a way to get more thumbnails for a single clip?
I assume the preview is generated by ffmpeg, do you have it installed and the paths entered in the newznab configuration?

Can you see if there is any correlation between the vids that have previews and those that don't? Are they all the same codec maybe?