Daemon process hammering disk

Support for the Debian/Ubuntu package, created by JCFP.
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
Adamski

Daemon process hammering disk

Post by Adamski »

Hi all,
I've just put a fresh version of Ubuntu 10 Server (was previously running CentOS) on my server PC this week and installed sabnzbdplus via apt-get. The process was running just fine for the first few NZBs that I downloaded... However, now it seems that whenever it tries to download something new, the disk busy % goes through the roof and the server becomes VERY slow... The only way to get the server working again is to shutdown sabnzbd... I never had any problems on CentOS, so I tried copying the original config file that I was using on there, however this doesn't see to make any difference.

I've seen a couple of threads on 100% CPU usage, but nothing relating to disk issues :(  Any ideas what I could do?

Code: Select all

root@monkey:/etc/default# dpkg --list | grep sab
ii  sabnzbdplus                     0.5.5-0ubuntu1~jcfp1~maverick       web-based binary newsgrabber with nzb support
ii  sabnzbdplus-theme-classic       0.5.5-0ubuntu1~jcfp1~maverick       classic interface templates for the SABnzbd+ binary newsgrabber
ii  sabnzbdplus-theme-mobile        0.5.5-0ubuntu1~jcfp1~maverick       mobile interface templates for the SABnzbd+ binary newsgrabber
ii  sabnzbdplus-theme-plush         0.5.5-0ubuntu1~jcfp1~maverick       plush interface templates for the SABnzbd+ binary newsgrabber
ii  sabnzbdplus-theme-smpl          0.5.5-0ubuntu1~jcfp1~maverick       smpl interface templates for the SABnzbd+ binary newsgrabber
sabnzbd.ini can be posted if needed

Looking in the log file. This is the last thing it logged before I shut it down:

Code: Select all

2010-11-18 18:37:28,635::INFO::[downloader:654] Connecting [email protected]:443 finished
2010-11-18 18:37:29,005::INFO::[downloader:654] Connecting [email protected]:443 finished
2010-11-18 18:37:29,916::DEBUG::[decoder:92] Decoding <Article: [email protected], bytes=397350, partnum=1, art_id=None>
2010-11-18 18:37:29,921::INFO::[downloader:465] [email protected]:443: Initiating connection
2010-11-18 18:37:31,080::INFO::[downloader:465] [email protected]:443: Initiating connection
Thanks

Adam
Last edited by Adamski on November 18th, 2010, 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Daemon process hammering disk

Post by shypike »

Hard to tell from so little info.
What you can try is to use a decent article cache (say 80M)
and set logging to the minimum.
I can think of no real reason for it to start hammering the disk,
except for par2 repairs and unrars.
Adamski

Post by Adamski »

Thanks. I did have the article cache set to 100M, but didn't seem to resolve the problem.  Log level is also set to 2. The problem seems to be when actually downloading articles before it even gets to the RAR / PAR2 stage :(
jcfp
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by jcfp »

In addition to that, the excessive number of connections also doesn't do any good, unless your internet connection is a private OC-12 line.
Adamski

Post by Adamski »

jcfp wrote: In addition to that, the excessive number of connections also doesn't do any good, unless your internet connection is a private OC-12 line.
Excessive? You mean 35?

I have gone back to using the SAB directory that I had on my CentOS install now.. It all works, however I get the exact problem when downloading again. I have always had 50 connections set up for my usenet provider and not had a problem before.
Last edited by Adamski on November 18th, 2010, 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by shypike »

Weird.
In the last 4 versions of SABnzbd there have been 0 changes
in the download code.
Just minor logic errors in other parts.
I'm afraid I cannot explain this.
I can start blaming the installed modules (Python, Cheetah, PyOpenSSL etc.)
but then more people would be reporting similar problems.
I still think you should reduce the logging level to the minimum.