Fluctuating Download Speeds

Support for the Debian/Ubuntu package, created by JCFP.
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Re: Fluctuating Download Speeds

Post by sander »

MrAsknai wrote:
shypike wrote:I have no idea. It works fine on my Ubuntus any those of many other people.
Also astraweb is a decent Usenet server (it has some problems, but none that explains yours).
I'd suspect routers, software firewalls and the like. Wireless is also not a good idea to download.
Do you have any other system to test with?
Can't be my router. I'm not rebooting my router, just sab. If I bounce sab, it starts up again for a few min then drops. I'm wondering if I've got the memory leaks other have mentioned?

How annoying.
What if you lower the number of connections to 1 and just 1 server?

Which Ubuntu version are you using?
Are you willing & able to install and use another NZB-downloader to see if that shows the same or other behavior?
themew

Post by themew »

Absolutely the exact same problem here using Ubuntu 11.04 64-bit (also Mint 11 64 bit). Downloads go as high as 50M down then drop to 1.9M and watching it on the status bar shows peaks and valleys like a heart-rate monitor. Turning SSL on or off doesn't matter nor does changing ports.

I've dropped my connections from 20 to 10, tried using US and EU servers, changed cache from 128 to 768 to -1 and the result never changes.

I'm using version 0.6.8 and have never seen this happen before. I can't tell which version in the last 2 or 3 this began with, but it's a fairly new issue.

Hope this helps diagnose the problem...
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

themew wrote: I'm using version 0.6.8 and have never seen this happen before. I can't tell which version in the last 2 or 3 this began with, but it's a fairly new issue.
So, can you go back and find which version does not show this behavior?
themew

Post by themew »

Unfortunately not, as I don't have the previous versions installed anywhere.
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

themew wrote:Unfortunately not, as I don't have the previous versions installed anywhere.
Well, all versions are still available: http://sourceforge.net/projects/sabnzbd ... bnzbdplus/

On Linux, you can just unpack the *-src.tar.gz into it's own directory, and then run SABnzbd.py from that directory.

So you can go back in history, and see when the problem was not there.
themew

Post by themew »

I wish I knew when the fluctuation issue began, but to download each older version and test it for download spikes would take up time I simply don't have.

Is there no way the guys that write this amazing software can diagnose when this began or how they can fix it?

If I get a chance, I'll see if I can grab a version, say 3 back from the current and see if the problems are there. I'll report back.
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by shypike »

themew wrote: Is there no way the guys that write this amazing software can diagnose when this began or how they can fix it?
The problem is that we cannot reproduce what you report.
So comparing different versions on our systems will give no info,
since they all behave the same in this area.
There may be a latent problem in the more recent versions, but if it only shows
itself in your situation, what can we do?
Generally we can only spend time on clearly diagnosable problems and
sometimes on less clear problems that are widely reported.
themew

Post by themew »

Well, it looks like it's not SABnzbd... Just downloaded the latest version of NNTPGrab and it's doing the same thing, so I wonder if it's the newsprovider or the latest version of Ubuntu.

I'll do some more testing and report back if I notice any difference.
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

themew wrote:Well, it looks like it's not SABnzbd... Just downloaded the latest version of NNTPGrab and it's doing the same thing, so I wonder if it's the newsprovider or the latest version of Ubuntu.
Or your ISP, your modem, your Wifi, ...
themew

Post by themew »

I switched news providers last night to compare. With provider #2, the speed fluctuation issue is not there. I will continue to monitor speeds with both news providers, but at this point it looks like it's a news provider issue and not a sabnzbd problem.