Native Android Application

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
faint545

Native Android Application

Post by faint545 »

I've begun creating a native Android application for SABNzbd. Like most people *hopefully?* I run SABNzbd on my own server and I haven't really found an app for my phone that I really like (and is free) to monitor my SABNzbd server remotely. So with that said, I decided to create my own using the "looks and feel" of the plush gold skin. When I am finished, I do plan to make it free on the Android app market and I'm even considering releasing the code to Github so people can fork it and contribute. I'm already a couple days into development and would really like to get users feedback as to what kind of features I should include.

The application currently supports authentication via the API key. I'm kind of not sure if I should have support for the user name and password authentication since, according to get API web page...
The way authentication works changed with 0.5, however 'api' retains the same authentication as previous versions for backwards compatibility
This app does currently support 2.0 and above (including 4.0). As of now, this application is intended to be used on a phone and if enough people request for it, I am willing to make a dedicated tablet app as well.

Here are the features/functionality that are currently implemented:
  • Add/remove SABNzbd profile
  • Edit SABNzbd profile
  • View the current queue
  • View the current history
  • Use QR scanner to input API key for SABNzbd profile
  • Color coded indicator in history view to indicate completed or failed download
Here are the features/functionality that I plan to implement:
  • Pause selected/all downloads
  • Clear selected/all history
  • Set global speed limit
Other than those, I don't have any other features in mind unless someone chimes in and suggests one. I hope to hear from the community.

And of course, here are some screens...
faint545

Re: Native Android Application

Post by faint545 »

Hello guys. I've pretty much completed this application and now I'd like to get people to test it out before I release it to the market. If you are interested, send me a message and I will send you the APK. I'd like to encourage anyone/everyone to participate please. Also this is good chance to voice your feature requests. Any errors or crashes are automatically reported (they should be automatically reported).
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

I have an Android, and a publicly accessible SABnzbd, so ... Yes, I want to test. I'll send you a PM with my mail address
Marcoevich

Post by Marcoevich »

I would love to test your app. I tried 'mediadog' a few days ago, but it keeps complaining about connection issues. I hope this one works better for me ;) Just send me a PM and I'll test it for you.
inpheaux
Administrator
Administrator

Post by inpheaux »

I'd be happy to test this as well.

Also:
Use QR scanner to input API key for SABNzbd profile
This is brilliant and I can't believe no one else has thought of this until now. It would be pretty damn easy to add a pop-up generate-QR-Code link next to API Key / NZB Key in the SABnzbd config UI, and doing so would be a pretty simple patch. I'd love to see it catch on in other native interfaces, and would be happy to patch such a link in for 0.7.
faint545

Post by faint545 »

I started a new thread in "Feature Requests" asking to have that implemented into SABNzbd. Dunno if it'll get through though. I appreciate your enthusiasm. I'm glad someone else thinks it's a good feature.
inpheaux wrote:I'd be happy to test this as well.

Also:
Use QR scanner to input API key for SABNzbd profile
This is brilliant and I can't believe no one else has thought of this until now. It would be pretty damn easy to add a pop-up generate-QR-Code link next to API Key / NZB Key in the SABnzbd config UI, and doing so would be a pretty simple patch. I'd love to see it catch on in other native interfaces, and would be happy to patch such a link in for 0.7.
Marcoevich

Post by Marcoevich »

It's indeed a brilliant solution ;) And it works flawlessly!

I am trying your app right now, and it works great.

But, right now I get an error message sayin (in Dutch:)

"De applicatie SABNzbd Controller (process com.gmail.at.faint545) is onverwachts gestopt. Probeer het opnieuw."

I am not able to reproduce this. Maybe you can find something in your error reports ;)
faint545

Post by faint545 »

EDIT: I just released a new test copy, hopefully that has resolved the issue.

Hm.. I will look into it. Thanks!
Marcoevich wrote:It's indeed a brilliant solution ;) And it works flawlessly!

I am trying your app right now, and it works great.

But, right now I get an error message sayin (in Dutch:)

"De applicatie SABNzbd Controller (process com.gmail.at.faint545) is onverwachts gestopt. Probeer het opnieuw."

I am not able to reproduce this. Maybe you can find something in your error reports ;)
Marcoevich

Post by Marcoevich »

Okay, updated to the latest version ;)

It hasn't produced another error yet, so far so good :P

I do have a feature request for you;

Could you add a tiny progressbar from which I could see the progress of the file currently being downloaded?
It does display the amount of mb/gb's it still has to dl, but if you don't know the original filesize, that won't be very helpful :P

Keep up the good work!
Marcoevich
faint545

Post by faint545 »

Sure thing. I'll see what I can do.
Marcoevich wrote:Okay, updated to the latest version ;)

It hasn't produced another error yet, so far so good :P

I do have a feature request for you;

Could you add a tiny progressbar from which I could see the progress of the file currently being downloaded?
It does display the amount of mb/gb's it still has to dl, but if you don't know the original filesize, that won't be very helpful :P

Keep up the good work!
Marcoevich
inpheaux
Administrator
Administrator

Post by inpheaux »

faint545 wrote:I started a new thread in "Feature Requests" asking to have that implemented into SABNzbd. Dunno if it'll get through though. I appreciate your enthusiasm.
You've probably noticed by now that you got enthusiasm from one of the right people.

If I had the app I'd be able to test the QR Code stuff, but what I've implemented should work fine.
faint545

Post by faint545 »

inpheaux wrote: You've probably noticed by now that you got enthusiasm from one of the right people.

If I had the app I'd be able to test the QR Code stuff, but what I've implemented should work fine.
I appreciate the update you made to SABNzbd!
As per Marcoevich's request: http://i44.tinypic.com/wthpp3.jpg
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

Hi, here are my remarks:

Overall:
It works for me on my HTC Wildfire with Android 2.3 (cyanogenmod)
It has a small footprint, which is good.

Installation:
I tried removing the "8081" in the port, which I couldn't do: no delete-key on the keyboard. Later I found out the 8081 goes away when you start typing. A bit confusing.
API-key: I now understand that yet has to come.
I can't remember: can I select HTTPS? Or is that not possible at with the API?

Queue:
Does not update itself: the status stays the same. Even after clicking on History, then Queue, it still says "Downloading" while the download has been completed already
The Green and Red status bar on the right is too subtle: make it more clear / bigger

History:
Menu -> Delete Selected: is that deleting from History only, are also from the harddisk?

Interface / GUI:
Ah, I can swipe between Queue and History ... cool! Maybe we can swipe the Settings too (as a third screen)?
The GUI looks a bit sparse; very little color and no SABnzbd logo in the screen.
How can I get into the settings when in Queue/History overview?
Can I stop the application at all?

Missing features:
Adding an NZB
faint545

Post by faint545 »

sander wrote: I can't remember: can I select HTTPS? Or is that not possible at with the API?
I do not believe it is possible but you can always try since I am not sure as well.
sander wrote: Does not update itself: the status stays the same. Even after clicking on History, then Queue, it still says "Downloading" while the download has been completed already.
This will be implemented, hopefully soon, in the meantime doing a refresh by pulling down on the list will have to suffice.
sander wrote: Menu -> Delete Selected: is that deleting from History only, are also from the harddisk?
Doing a delete will only delete the history (I think). The API isn't very clear on this part. But from my tests, deleting the history will only delete the history and NOT the data. It would be nice if there was an option for this in the API
sander wrote: Maybe we can swipe the Settings too (as a third screen)?
Something I will consider, and probably implement!
sander wrote: How can I get into the settings when in Queue/History overview?
The only settings that currently exist is setting a speed limit, editing a profile and deleting a profile, and that is only done via a long press on the target profile in the main screen (as you probably already know). However, if I do implement a Settings tab, it will be included in that.
sander wrote: Can I stop the application at all?
The back button on your phone is used for that. By pressing the back button stops the application, but it still is running (for cache purposes most likely). There really is no way to "force kill" from the application itself (Android actually tries to prevent people from doing this & is considered bad practice). Just about all other applications with a "Quit" button do the exact same thing as the back button when pressed.
sander wrote: Adding an NZB
I don't know if this is something I will implement or not. I cant imagine too many people downloading NZBs onto their phones simply because navigating a website that provides NZBs is very difficult (most are not mobile friendly). If I hear more people requesting this feature, I will implement it.

sander, thank you for your feedback! It is greatly appreciated.
Marcoevich

Post by Marcoevich »

Hey Faint545,

Today I had some time to try your app a little bit more. And I found out that updating the history sometimes doesn't work, or it takes a veeery long time.
I've tried this about 20 times and sometimes it doesn't show the history at all. See my screenshots: http://piclair.com/data/x7a90.jpg

Also, can you do something to let the failed downloads grab my attention. Give them another (light-red?) background color or something, so they will cath my eye ;)

Best regards,
Marcoevich