Cannot create temp file for /etc/sabnzbd.conf.tmp [Solved]

Get help with all aspects of SABnzbd
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
c0nv1ct

Cannot create temp file for /etc/sabnzbd.conf.tmp [Solved]

Post by c0nv1ct »

Ever since an update a while back my logs have been spammed with "Cannot create temp file for /etc/sabnzbd.conf.tmp" every ~30 seconds. I have recently noticed that changes to the configuration in the UI are not saved to /etc/sabnzbd.conf, though /etc/sabnzbd.conf.tmp is being updated. The user Sabnzbd runs as has read and write permissions for both /etc/sabnzbd.conf and /etc/sabnzbd.conf.tmp. I've even tried chmod 666 on both files and the error persists. Is there some other file that needs its permissions adjusted to fix this?

edit: Moved /etc/admin and /etc/sabnzbd.conf to it's own dir /etc/sabnzbd/ and have not seen any errors yet and the conf seems to be updating as it should. It still seems to want to use /etc/sabnzbd.conf.tmp, though. It would be nice to put that in a more appropriate place for temp files.
Last edited by c0nv1ct on October 19th, 2011, 12:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Re: Cannot create temp file for /etc/sabnzbd.conf.tmp

Post by sander »

You must be running SABnzbd 0.6.10, right? SAB 0.6.10 creates "sabnzbd.ini.bak", probably in the directory containing sabnzbd.ini. I guess your sabnzbd.ini is in /etc/ ?

However, your SAB wants to create a .tmp file. Strange. First try: can you create /etc/sabnzbd.ini.bak with 666 rights?

And who's the owner of /etc/sabnzbd.ini ?
c0nv1ct

Re: Cannot create temp file for /etc/sabnzbd.conf.tmp

Post by c0nv1ct »

I was running 0.6.9. I just now upgraded to 0.6.10 and it created the .bak in /etc/sabnzbd/ since I made the changes in the edit from my OP. It doesn't seem to be using the sabnzbd.conf.tmp file anymore.
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Re: Cannot create temp file for /etc/sabnzbd.conf.tmp [Solve

Post by sander »

You have a /etc/sabnzbd/ directory on your system? Have you created that yourselves?
c0nv1ct

Re: Cannot create temp file for /etc/sabnzbd.conf.tmp [Solve

Post by c0nv1ct »

Yes, I did that myself. I felt /etc/admin was too ambiguous so it would be more appropriate to have all sabnzbd+ related etc content reside in it's own subdirectory under /etc. This also resolves any permissions problems as I can give the sabnzbd+ user full permissions to that folder without compromising the rest of /etc.

edit: Sorry, I should have mentioned from the beginning that this is an ubuntu-server and sabnzbd+ is being maintained using the unofficial sabnzbd+ ppa.