No pick-up from drop box w/o file association

Got a program that plays well with SABnzbd? Share it here!
roelvdh

No pick-up from drop box w/o file association

Post by roelvdh »

Hello,

I use SABnzbd 0.5.0 on my Linux server, using a Windows XP client for dropping .nzb files in a local drop box.
SABnzbd will only pick up the .nzb files in the drop box if file extension nzb is accociated with a program on the local Windows machine. Obviously, I don't need any nzb-program on the Win client. This situation existed in 0.4.12 and it still exists in 0.5.0. Installing any nzb-program (I tried GrabIt; don't want any duplication of SABnzbd) and associating the nzb extension with it, imediately starts the pick-up from the drop box. Uninstalling the (GrabIt)program immediately stops the pick up process.
It's a bit weird to have to install a program you don't need, only to have nzb associated with a program that exists. But on the other hand, it's no problem either. Anyway, I'm very satisfied with SABnzbd.

Roel
babiulep

Re: No pick-up from drop box w/o file association

Post by babiulep »

Hello roelvdh, I have about the same setup as you have...
I.e. : linux server with sabnzb+ and dropbox installed and a (remote) windows xp client with dropbox installed
I have created a folder called NZB in Dropbox and shared it between the 2 computers.
I have configured sabnzb+ on the server to poll the NZB folder...

There is no newsgrabber installed on the xp machine and no file association with nzb.
I drop an nzb file on the xp client and a couple of seconds later it pops up a message telling me that a remote computer has deleted the nzb's.
Sabnzb+ has done that and the downloading starts.

So please check if it's the right folder you're polling on the linux server.
That both dropbox programs are running and that your client is dropping it in the right folder.

Just imaging what this would mean if this folder would be shared with other people (not necessarily sabnzb related).
You could influence their program behaviour, i.e. change the way file-associations are setup on remote computers!
At least, that's what your story sounds like... That would be an 'unwanted' feature ::)

Hope you can sort this out and good luck!

Cheers!
roelvdh

Re: No pick-up from drop box w/o file association

Post by roelvdh »

Thank you, babiulep!
The difference between our setups is, that I run only one dropbox on the Windows client and none on the server. I call the box from the Linux server as \\WinClient\C:\ Documents and Settings\User\Downloads\nzb and it works fine, so I'm calling the right folder and I don't need to worry, but thanks for the good advice  :)
The only point is that this will only work as long as I associate nzb with an existing newsgrabber program on the Win XP client, which seems weird to me.
Your solution of two drop boxes which are shared between the server and the client is far more elegant and I will kindly use your solution from now on.
Enjoy!
Roel