Regarding "Newzbin 2"

Get help with all aspects of SABnzbd
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
inpheaux
Administrator
Administrator

Regarding "Newzbin 2"

Post by inpheaux »

Yes, Newzbin appears to be back.

However, before you all go running back, please think for yourselves and determine if you really want to go back to a site where the administrators have openly admitted to:

- Hacking the original Newzbin
- Stealing source code
- Stealing database dumps

In addition to this, the site still has incredibly meager retention (240 days compared to the 600+ you'll find at nzbs.org, nzbmatrix, or any site based on newznab), and the new administrators have admitted that it's like this because they don't know what they're doing, because it isn't their code, because they stole it.

Please keep in mind that it isn't 2006. Newzbin is not the only indexer out there.
Last edited by shypike on February 20th, 2011, 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hmail
Release Testers
Release Testers

Re: Regarding "Newzbin 2"

Post by Hmail »

What does this mean for sabnzbd? 0.5.3 RC1 has all the newzbin stuff removed. Are you proceeding with that, or do you put the stuff back in? I myself don't care who stole what. It was always a shady business, and this doesn't change anything for me. However, it would disappoint me, and I guess a lot of other sabnzbd users with me, if you remove the newzbin support (which was amazing, and one of the most powerful features from sabnzbd) for personal reasons.
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by shypike »

Hmail wrote: if you remove the newzbin support (which was amazing, and one of the most powerful features from sabnzbd) for personal reasons.
Has nothing to do with personal reasons.
We prefer not to get silly support questions about it :) (like "why cannot I use these functions?")
We'll restore it, but don't expect us to support wholeheartedly again.
c0ld

Post by c0ld »

The fact that they have the old domain name gives me at least one small reason to trust them for now.

eta; then again, it could mean that NB2 is being set up by the law, because the domain name should be owned by the liquidators atm.
Last edited by c0ld on June 2nd, 2010, 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
syth

Post by syth »

c0ld wrote: The fact that they have the old domain name gives me at least one small reason to trust them for now.
Really? THat gives me even less reason to trust them.
c0ld wrote: eta; then again, it could mean that NB2 is being set up by the law, because the domain name should be owned by the liquidators atm.
Exactly. You could call and ask?

Dodds, Marcus  [email protected]
Victoria House
Victoria, Mahe 000 000
SC
+248.284110

I'm happy enough with nzbmatrix.com right now, and it works with EpisodeButler, which is nice.
chokomon

Post by chokomon »

There's a lot of hints out there that the supposed "theft" wasn't a theft at all; and that the old owners just passed the site under the table to a new team.  The same domain name, the fact that the newzbin2 database initially contained data up to the exact date newzbin1 shut down (not the earlier date of the alleged "theft"), etc, etc.

That sounds like exactly the sort of thing the newzbin folks would do too, as one last middle finger to the MPAA. 
Limi

Post by Limi »

shypike wrote: We'll restore it, but don't expect us to support wholeheartedly again.
I'm grateful that you plan to restore the code, have we any sort of ETA on this? As much as I love SAB, it's getting painful to download and re-upload NZB's all the time to download something. I've fixed the greasemonkey script SABTab3 to work with Newzbin2, unfortunately I fixed it before I realised the code had been removed from SAB >_<
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by shypike »

Limi wrote: have we any sort of ETA on this? As much as I love SAB, it's getting painful to download and re-upload NZB's all the time to download something. I've fixed the greasemonkey script SABTab3 to work with Newzbin2, unfortunately I fixed it before I realised the code had been removed from SAB >_<
There's no code removed from SABnzbd, except that we removed some visible stuff in the UI.
If you did not remove your username/pw for newzbin, everything still works.
The code is still in 0.5.2 and will be back in  0.5.3.
browngeek

Post by browngeek »

Hi

Apologies in advance if I am being a bit ignorant with my question.  I have kept an eye on the developments of Newzbin and its integration with SabNZBd.  I've read the forums, and have searched around, so I do apologise if my query has been dealt with, but I could not find the answer.

My Newzbin2 username and password remains the same as it was with the old Newzbin.  Now with SABNZBd, I'm presently using 0.5.3 RC1 (will upgrade to the final version tonight when I get home).

At present I haven't been using Newzbin 2 at all, however I keep on getting the following error message: "WARNING: Problem accessing Newzbin server"  0.5.3 RC1 doesn't have the option of entering my Newzbin username or password, can I ask how I am getting this error message?

Going forward.  With 0.5.3 Final, if Newzbin2 integration works properly, if I bookmark an NZB in Newzbin2, will SABNZBd auto download it?

Many thanks!
inpheaux
Administrator
Administrator

Post by inpheaux »

browngeek wrote: Going forward.  With 0.5.3 Final, if Newzbin2 integration works properly, if I bookmark an NZB in Newzbin2, will SABNZBd auto download it?
Unless the new admins break something with their API it should work. However, you should not expect them to keep things working. They've stated in the past that they don't entirely understand the code they're working with, and the time it's taken for them to make basic core changes has proven this statement true.

Between 0.5.2 Final and 0.5.3 Final there were no changes with regard to Newzbin integration (All changes made during the 0.5.3 Betas and RC's were reverted), so if something doesn't work, it is almost definitely their fault.
Homerboy

Post by Homerboy »

inpheaux wrote:
browngeek wrote: Going forward.  With 0.5.3 Final, if Newzbin2 integration works properly, if I bookmark an NZB in Newzbin2, will SABNZBd auto download it?
Unless the new admins break something with their API it should work. However, you should not expect them to keep things working. They've stated in the past that they don't entirely understand the code they're working with, and the time it's taken for them to make basic core changes has proven this statement true.

Between 0.5.2 Final and 0.5.3 Final there were no changes with regard to Newzbin integration (All changes made during the 0.5.3 Betas and RC's were reverted), so if something doesn't work, it is almost definitely their fault.
Sadly it seems as if they did break something. Even with the latest SABnzbd. I'm still getting the "WARNING: Problem accessing Newzbin server." errors. Sucks. I LOVED the bookmark feature so very much. Maybe I'm doing something wrongm but all I SHOULD have to do is enter a username/password.
"
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by shypike »

Homerboy wrote: Sadly it seems as if they did break something. Even with the latest SABnzbd. I'm still getting the "WARNING: Problem accessing Newzbin server." errors. Sucks. I LOVED the bookmark feature so very much. Maybe I'm doing something wrongm but all I SHOULD have to do is enter a username/password.
"
Newzbin acknowledged on their news page that they indeed broke things.
Solving it is not "a high priority" for them.
Solving it in SABnzbd is something we're very reluctant to do, where does it end?
Homerboy

Post by Homerboy »

shypike wrote:
Solving it in SABnzbd is something we're very reluctant to do, where does it end?
Oh I realize everyone is between a rock and hard place here. I'm not asking for an immediate "fix".... I'm just whining :)
MrWhite

Post by MrWhite »

Homerboy wrote:
shypike wrote:
Oh I realize everyone is between a rock and hard place here. I'm not asking for an immediate "fix".... I'm just whining :)
For structural and operational reasons we removed the v3 subdomain. We've now fixed (we hope) the issues that affected users. We've also asked to be added back into the list.
Homerboy

Post by Homerboy »

MrWhite wrote:
Homerboy wrote:
shypike wrote:
For structural and operational reasons we removed the v3 subdomain. We've now fixed (we hope) the issues that affected users. We've also asked to be added back into the list.
Super cool Mr. White. Thanks for the update and keep up the good work with Newzbin2!