Just about every download fails with crc errors

Get help with all aspects of SABnzbd
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Just about every download fails with crc errors

Post by shypike »

You are using a real file system and not an external drive with FAT32, are you?
rAf

Post by rAf »

@Stanknuggets : I've tested the 2 nzbs you've sent to me, no problem with beta3 (will be available soon) and astraweb on 10.6...
akuzura

Post by akuzura »

Just want to chime in and say I had very similar (if not the exact) same problem as OP, and I blamed it on astraweb.
I went on to give newshosting.com a try (14 day trial) and the ones that fail work now. I don't even need to repair.
Stanknuggets

Post by Stanknuggets »

shypike wrote: You are using a real file system and not an external drive with FAT32, are you?
yes. Sab is installed on my C: drive with the OS. Incomplet/completed folders are on my E: storage drive
Stanknuggets

Post by Stanknuggets »

rAf wrote: @Stanknuggets : I've tested the 2 nzbs you've sent to me, no problem with beta3 (will be available soon) and astraweb on 10.6...
hmmm, ok thanks
Stanknuggets

Post by Stanknuggets »

akuzura wrote: Just want to chime in and say I had very similar (if not the exact) same problem as OP, and I blamed it on astraweb.
I went on to give newshosting.com a try (14 day trial) and the ones that fail work now. I don't even need to repair.
thanks. i'll give newshosting a try, then see what happens when beta3 comes out.
akuzura

Post by akuzura »

I might have jumped the gun there. In the first round all the other previously failed downloads succeeded with the new server newshosting, but right this moment I had a file fail on me. Not enough blocks to repair. And I'm checking out "connections" tab, and it seems like I'm connected to news.astraweb.com, does this mean that newshosting is an astraweb reseller as well? It'd be helpful if anyone in this thread that is not getting this kind of error say what usenet server provider they're using.

I hope you didn't purchase anything yet, stinkynuggets, they provide a trial after all

EDIT
now I'm downloading something else, and the connections show up as "giganews". If I could guess, newshosting has a deal with astraweb and giganews to let the users download stuff of their harddrives, OR this is how usenet works, someone posted the files to giganews' server and I'm downloading its content, but I thought it my usenet server should download the content on other usenet servers to their own servers so when we download we download off the servers we're paying to download from. In all honesty though, I'm guessing here, I only know a fraction of how usenet works.
lol
but when downloading from giganews I got no problems, but as soon as it went over to astraweb again, the problems reoccurred. I don't think I'm wrong by blaming this on astraweb
Last edited by akuzura on December 10th, 2009, 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by shypike »

The header for each group of messages shows you the server.
The server names in the messages are not related, that's usually
the server to which the original upload took place.
Stanknuggets

Post by Stanknuggets »

akuzura wrote: I might have jumped the gun there. In the first round all the other previously failed downloads succeeded with the new server newshosting, but right this moment I had a file fail on me. Not enough blocks to repair. And I'm checking out "connections" tab, and it seems like I'm connected to news.astraweb.com, does this mean that newshosting is an astraweb reseller as well? It'd be helpful if anyone in this thread that is not getting this kind of error say what usenet server provider they're using.

I hope you didn't purchase anything yet, stinkynuggets, they provide a trial after all

EDIT
now I'm downloading something else, and the connections show up as "giganews". If I could guess, newshosting has a deal with astraweb and giganews to let the users download stuff of their harddrives, OR this is how usenet works, someone posted the files to giganews' server and I'm downloading its content, but I thought it my usenet server should download the content on other usenet servers to their own servers so when we download we download off the servers we're paying to download from. In all honesty though, I'm guessing here, I only know a fraction of how usenet works.
lol
but when downloading from giganews I got no problems, but as soon as it went over to astraweb again, the problems reoccurred. I don't think I'm wrong by blaming this on astraweb
no, i haven't even started the trial yet. Thanks for the heads up.
drjake

Post by drjake »

I have the exact same problem! I have a nice NAS, Qnap 639 and it fails almost everything since i only get Hi-def. Also files at lower than 2gb fails. But no problems using my vista 64Bit and Newsleecher. 
But the nice folks at Qnap will only make a nice package for the NAP, when the v.05 goes out of beta.

Guess ill have to live with CRC  errors untill then, and par2 check manually ;(

Hurry up with the V05 final ;))

Cheers J
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by shypike »

Do you run SABnzbd on the NAS or on the PC?
Any differences between the two?

You have to realize that we do not supply a full package for the NAS.
Other people do that and they include a par2 program.
If the quality of that program isn't good, then there's
nothing SABnzbd can do about it.

With a proper par2 (and unrar), SABnzbd 0.4.12 works fine.
meshuga

Post by meshuga »

I'm running 5.0beta3 on my QNAP TS-439, and having CRC issues very ocassionally. I did just copy over the binaries for unrar, par2 etc from 4.11 package that QNAP built, so I will try replacing them to see if it makes a difference.

I only get CRC's about 1 out of 20? or 30? And then sometimes, like yesterday, I'll have 50 files posted and it'll CRC like 5 in the middle. I haven't quantified if it's the posts themselves yet. I will try redownloading.
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by shypike »

Just to make it clear: do you get CRC errors when unpacking?
Not CRC warnings about corrupt articles?
The latter is quite common and nothing to worry about.

Further: you should be using unrar 3.90.
We've had lots of CRC reports for older versions, especially 3.80
on all platforms.
meshuga

Post by meshuga »

FWIW, I just redownloaded 2 out of the 6 files bad and appears to have worked fine.

Mine were all: Repair failed, not enough repair blocks (37 short)
Anywhere between 1 and 80 blocks failed.

Using the exact same newsid and server I was able to re-download 2 out of the 6 so far no problem.

I was actually running unrar 3.71(!!) so now I've upgraded to 3.90. I will report back if I get any more.
Last edited by meshuga on December 15th, 2009, 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fostot
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by fostot »

I found this happening a lot with all of the alpha's and all of the beta's of 5.0. I went back to using 4.x and I no longer get CRC failures or bad downloads that wont extract. It's something in the 5.x tree.