Windows 7 memory leak

Get help with all aspects of SABnzbd
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
djphatic

Windows 7 memory leak

Post by djphatic »

Hi

I wasn't sure if this post belonged here or in the bug reports but here goes...

I recently installed Windows 7 32-bit RTM and installed sabnzbd. Everything appears to work fine whilst sabnzbd is running but after a while (a few hours or so) if I try and load up any program I get the error message "insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service". If I happen to have Firefox still open whilst this occurs and I try to loadup sabnzbd I get a unable to connect page. At first I thought this was an issue with my Windows 7 installation as sabnzbd worked fine in WinXP when I left it running overnight.

I have since uninstalled sabnzbd from my Windows 7 installation and gone back to Newsbin Pro to see if the same/similar problem occurred. Everything is working fine with Newsbin Pro and have not received the "insufficient system resources exist" error since.

Whenever the problem occurred with sabnzbd I was unable to open task manager to see what was going on with my system resources as it would come up with the error message and prevent it from loading up.

Is there any suggestions on how to get sabnzbd to work correctly with Windows 7?

Thanks
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Windows 7 memory leak

Post by shypike »

It works fine with Windows 7.
Do you have any utility installed (e.g. nzbstatus in Firefox)?
One user recently reported a similar problem because he had selected a very short
status polling interval in nzbstatus.

We'd have to know a bit more about your system to say anything useful about this.
There is no general incompatibility between SABnzbd and Windows 7.
Some team members and quite a few users already have SABnzbd running on Win7.
djphatic

Post by djphatic »

shypike wrote: It works fine with Windows 7.
Do you have any utility installed (e.g. nzbstatus in Firefox)?
One user recently reported a similar problem because he had selected a very short
status polling interval in nzbstatus.

We'd have to know a bit more about your system to say anything useful about this.
There is no general incompatibility between SABnzbd and Windows 7.
Some team members and quite a few users already have SABnzbd running on Win7.

Yes I have nzbstatus installed in Firefox, latest version of firefox and nzbstatus. I have the interval refresh set to 5 minutes.

I reinstalled sabnzbd earlier today and has been working fine up until now. I can load the main page but once I click on queue or settings I get a blank screen, occasionally it will load up. Also my download speed has slowly declined to around 100KB/s (usually 1500KB/s). I haven't received the insufficient memory message though.

My system is a Intel E8400, 4GB ram, ATI 4850 using HDMI sound with latest Catalyst 9.9 installed. Running ESET 4.0.417.0 as my anti-virus.

EDIT: Looks like I spoke too soon, whilst I was writing this post the memory issue occurred again. It seems to affect my network adapter as well as I had firefox open and couldn't post this reply or visit any other websites. I did note that when thinks started playing up about my physical memory usage in task manager was 66%. I have just rebooted, task manager is currently showing 24% physical memory usage without sabnzbd loaded up.
Last edited by djphatic on September 29th, 2009, 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by shypike »

Tell the virus scanner to leave SABnzbd's cache folder alone.
Other than that I really have no idea.
You could sign up for the Alpha releases of 0.5.0 (see "Beta Releases" board).
djphatic

Post by djphatic »

shypike wrote: Tell the virus scanner to leave SABnzbd's cache folder alone.
Other than that I really have no idea.
You could sign up for the Alpha releases of 0.5.0 (see "Beta Releases" board).
I set the cache folder along with the SABnzbds installation folder to be excluded from the anti-virus, though the problem persists. I have also been having issues with accessing SABnzbd remotely, though this may not be related.

I have realised that my XP installation does not have ESET anti-virus installed (or any other for that matter) whereas Windows 7 does, I will uninstall it and see how it goes. I have booted into XP this morning and left it running whilst I am at work and I am able to access SABnzbd remotely as well - something I have not managed to do whilst I have been running Windows 7.
djphatic

Post by djphatic »

Everything appears to be working fine in Windows 7 after uninstalling ESET NOD32 4.0.
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by shypike »

May I recommend the free Microsoft Security Essentials instead?

Seriously, we simple do not have the resources to test against and
work around problems with all virus scanners and firewalls on the market.

BTW: as far as I know currently only AVG and Ms Security Essentials are suitable for Win7.
(Edit: Eset site says their product is Win7 compatible too).
Last edited by shypike on October 5th, 2009, 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
cynan
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by cynan »

I recently installed Windows 7 Profession x64 and am having the exact same issue. Physical memory usage just keeps creeping up and up, until somewhere around 90%, after a few hours,  things start to stop functioning, usually requiring a manual reboot. As with djphatic, network functionality seems to be of the first things to `break`. I also have ESET NOD32 4 installed. I`m just grateful that I found this post, as I`ve spent a few hours already trying to conclusively isolate the ESET-sabnzbd issue.

Now what am I going to do with the year subscription to NOD32 ;)
Last edited by cynan on November 21st, 2009, 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by shypike »

Is there a general memory leak due to ESET?
Is SABnzbd using increasing amounts of memory, but only when ESET is installed?
Do you see the same behavior with other network-intensive programs?
E.g. have you tried what Grabit does?

What does the task manager say about which program uses so much memory?
(Not that the TM is very reliable, but it's some indication.)
inpheaux
Administrator
Administrator

Post by inpheaux »

I can't confirm this on 0.5 a11 (or any 0.5 build), Win 7 Pro x64, NOD32 4 x64. No network problems, No memory leaking, etc. Have any of you experiencing this issue tried 0.5?
FoxRacR17

Post by FoxRacR17 »

Hey everyone, new guy here.  Registered here to just add that i too have this problem.  At first i thought it was something wrong with my win7 installation so i reinstalled win7 x64, applied all the latest drivers for my mobo and video card ect, and i still had this problem where memory would slowly be eatin up while using sabnzbd.  I'm glad i found this thread because the one thing i have in common is that i too use ESET smart security 4 x64 installed on my system.  I'm at work right now but i will try uninstalling it tomorrow and see if that fixes it.  I have been using nod32 for years, since it was only antivirus and the 2-point-something version.  I love it, has always saved my butt so i'm not sure i would want to get rid of it.  I will try messing around with settings in nod32 when i get the chance, i remember from back in the day that you had to do some stuff in nod32 to make it play nice with Azureus, something along the lines of adding both Azureus and the javaw.exe file to the list of files to exclude from the then "IMON" (internet monitoring) section of nod32 2-point-whatever-version it was.  Maybe it is something similar with Sabnzbd.  Does Sabnzbd rely on anything like Azureus relies on java?
inpheaux
Administrator
Administrator

Post by inpheaux »

FoxRacR17 wrote: Hey everyone, new guy here.  Registered here to just add that i too have this problem.  At first i thought it was something wrong with my win7 installation so i reinstalled win7 x64, applied all the latest drivers for my mobo and video card ect, and i still had this problem where memory would slowly be eatin up while using sabnzbd.  I'm glad i found this thread because the one thing i have in common is that i too use ESET smart security 4 x64 installed on my system.  I'm at work right now but i will try uninstalling it tomorrow and see if that fixes it.  I have been using nod32 for years, since it was only antivirus and the 2-point-something version.  I love it, has always saved my butt so i'm not sure i would want to get rid of it.  I will try messing around with settings in nod32 when i get the chance, i remember from back in the day that you had to do some stuff in nod32 to make it play nice with Azureus, something along the lines of adding both Azureus and the javaw.exe file to the list of files to exclude from the then "IMON" (internet monitoring) section of nod32 2-point-whatever-version it was.  Maybe it is something similar with Sabnzbd.  Does Sabnzbd rely on anything like Azureus relies on java?
All I had to do to make SABnzbd work with NOD32 x64 is turn off "web protection". That's it. No memory leaks, nothing. The thing with NOD32 is that if you don't disable web protection SABnzbd won't work at all, so I don't see how you could get it in a working-but-leaking-memory state.
FoxRacR17

Post by FoxRacR17 »

inpheaux wrote:
FoxRacR17 wrote: Hey everyone, new guy here.  Registered here to just add that i too have this problem.  At first i thought it was something wrong with my win7 installation so i reinstalled win7 x64, applied all the latest drivers for my mobo and video card ect, and i still had this problem where memory would slowly be eatin up while using sabnzbd.  I'm glad i found this thread because the one thing i have in common is that i too use ESET smart security 4 x64 installed on my system.  I'm at work right now but i will try uninstalling it tomorrow and see if that fixes it.  I have been using nod32 for years, since it was only antivirus and the 2-point-something version.  I love it, has always saved my butt so i'm not sure i would want to get rid of it.  I will try messing around with settings in nod32 when i get the chance, i remember from back in the day that you had to do some stuff in nod32 to make it play nice with Azureus, something along the lines of adding both Azureus and the javaw.exe file to the list of files to exclude from the then "IMON" (internet monitoring) section of nod32 2-point-whatever-version it was.  Maybe it is something similar with Sabnzbd.  Does Sabnzbd rely on anything like Azureus relies on java?
All I had to do to make SABnzbd work with NOD32 x64 is turn off "web protection". That's it. No memory leaks, nothing. The thing with NOD32 is that if you don't disable web protection SABnzbd won't work at all, so I don't see how you could get it in a working-but-leaking-memory state.
I'm not too sure, I did a fresh install of win7 x64, installed ESET Smart Security x64 edition, then installed the latest beta of Sabnzbd and it downloads stuff, but it just slows eats away at all my memory.  And i'm assuming you mean where it says "Web Access Protection" under the setup tab to the left, just uncheck that correct?  Thanks for the heads up, will give it a try later on.
Skibumtx

Post by Skibumtx »

Well, I can verify that this issue is not limted to SABNZB alone.  The reason I'm trying SAB is that I was having the same problem with AltBinz.

I, too, have ESET and have just gone into SETUP>WEB ACCESS PROTECTION(CONFIGURE)>WEB ACCESS PROTECTION>EXCLUSIONS and added the path for SAB, and AltBinz.  I'll see if that works to eliminate the issue.

Ski
Skibumtx

Post by Skibumtx »

Skibumtx wrote: Well, I can verify that this issue is not limted to SABNZB alone.  The reason I'm trying SAB is that I was having the same problem with AltBinz.

I, too, have ESET and have just gone into SETUP>WEB ACCESS PROTECTION(CONFIGURE)>WEB ACCESS PROTECTION>EXCLUSIONS and added the path for SAB, and AltBinz.  I'll see if that works to eliminate the issue.

Ski
Adding the directories to the EXCLUSIONS list didn't work....