SABnzbd Remote for WebOS (Pre and Pixi)

Got a program that plays well with SABnzbd? Share it here!
tux2005

Re: SABnzbPre: A SABnzbd+ remote for Palm WebOS devices (Pre and Pixi)

Post by tux2005 »

Very nice App.

I had been working on my own Pre app (before the 0.5 betas) but this looks like it is a lot further along than mine ever was.

One thing I didn't see when quickly checking it out now, does it do any kind of automatic refreshing?
bionicdude

Post by bionicdude »

I came here to look at the API to look into making a pre app for myself, and I was very happy to find this.
kudos on the work that you've done here so far.
daveisadork
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by daveisadork »

tux2005 wrote: Very nice App.

I had been working on my own Pre app (before the 0.5 betas) but this looks like it is a lot further along than mine ever was.

One thing I didn't see when quickly checking it out now, does it do any kind of automatic refreshing?
No automatic refreshing yet.... The biggest problem is that if you're trying to delete or move something and the app gets refreshed, it resets the UI in the process. This turns out to be extremely frustrating, so that particular feature is on hold until I figure out a way to block refreshes when they'd be problematic.
FuManChuu

Post by FuManChuu »

holy HELL.

Super pumped to test.

EDIT: Initial impression: Blown away... I'll use it for a couple days, see if I can break it, but so far it looks more developed than most paid for apps.

I'm assuming, due to the nature, you aren't going to submit this to the app catalog? Will you be taking donations?
Last edited by FuManChuu on January 28th, 2010, 4:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
daveisadork
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by daveisadork »

FuManChuu wrote: holy HELL.

Super pumped to test.

EDIT: Initial impression: Blown away... I'll use it for a couple days, see if I can break it, but so far it looks more developed than most paid for apps.

I'm assuming, due to the nature, you aren't going to submit this to the app catalog? Will you be taking donations?
Actually, I am planning to submit the app to the store... I've just had next to no time to devote to it, and I'm waiting for 0.5 to finally be released (and trying to think of a different name). The app is open source and will be free if it gets in the store, but  if you want to make a donation you can do that on the github page: http://github.com/daveisadork/SABnzbPre

Thanks for the kind words :)
FuManChuu

Post by FuManChuu »

Awesome :)

Also, a little usability comment. After using it for awhile, I haven't quite seen any "bugs," but there is an area that I think could make the user experience a little easier. Lets say, I wanted to download an entire season of my favorite public domain non-copyrighted show, directly from my device.

The browse newzbin feature is fantastic, and works pretty well... but if I want to download multiple episodes, it requires me to repeat the initial search, browse to the appropriate page, etc.

Is there anyway the application could, or have a toggle option to remember your last location? So that if you went back to "add from newzbin," it would still have your last results up? If this kind of setup is taken, the top bar could be used as a "back to start" kind of thing.

Anyway, just a thought... probably doesn't need to be a default, but would certainly be helpful  :)
jp22382
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by jp22382 »

FuManChuu wrote: Awesome :)

Also, a little usability comment. After using it for awhile, I haven't quite seen any "bugs," but there is an area that I think could make the user experience a little easier. Lets say, I wanted to download an entire season of my favorite public domain non-copyrighted show, directly from my device.

The browse newzbin feature is fantastic, and works pretty well... but if I want to download multiple episodes, it requires me to repeat the initial search, browse to the appropriate page, etc.

Is there anyway the application could, or have a toggle option to remember your last location? So that if you went back to "add from newzbin," it would still have your last results up? If this kind of setup is taken, the top bar could be used as a "back to start" kind of thing.

Anyway, just a thought... probably doesn't need to be a default, but would certainly be helpful  :)
Great explanation :) I wasn't sure how to word this.

But I do find myself using the Pre browser to snag urls when I want to download multiple items (hooray copy/paste). Some feature like this would be great!
FuManChuu

Post by FuManChuu »

jp22382 wrote:
FuManChuu wrote: Awesome :)

Great explanation :) I wasn't sure how to word this.

But I do find myself using the Pre browser to snag urls when I want to download multiple items (hooray copy/paste). Some feature like this would be great!
Yargh, I'm an idiot. I didn't even really think to just use the pre browser... I suppose that would work well enough, could open links in new card from main listing, etc...

Hrm. Win.
daveisadork
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by daveisadork »

I have to confess, this never really presented an issue for me because I've always used apps like hellavcr and sickbeard for TV shows, but since you brought it up I've been trying to think of a good way to make it happen. On a related note, Newzbin recently introduced a search API and I've been toying with the idea of building search capability right into the app instead of doing the browser thing. I don't know how realistic that is so we'll just have to see.
bionicdude

Post by bionicdude »

daveisadork wrote: ... I've been toying with the idea of building search capability right into the app instead of doing the browser thing. I don't know how realistic that is so we'll just have to see.
fingers crossed for this. It would be awesome.
FuManChuu

Post by FuManChuu »

+1 for built in searching... but it would have to allow some access to the .nfo previews... or maybe a raw view of the file names to be a killer feature for me (I don't know about you guys, but I always have to check the group, region, format, container, blah blah to find the right post out of a million posts).

But, besides that... Feedback Fairy (no homo) is back.

How about some more detailed error responses in the connection test area. IP unreachable, bad API key, l/p, etc. I'm not sure what all of that you would even have access to implement, but I found myself frustrated when I was setting up nzbPre on a friends phone yesterday and was unclear as to what variable I entered incorrectly.

True story. I was taking a dump today, and started downloading an episode I missed... done before I walked out of the bathroom.

Awesome.
daveisadork
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by daveisadork »

FuManChuu wrote: +1 for built in searching... but it would have to allow some access to the .nfo previews... or maybe a raw view of the file names to be a killer feature for me (I don't know about you guys, but I always have to check the group, region, format, container, blah blah to find the right post out of a million posts).
This is why it seems unrealistic to do for the most part... Newzbin just has so many search options and provides so much information that it would be near impossible to get everything that everyone wants (or even settle on a reasonable subset of features). Whereas using the browser like it does now, it's not quite as nice as built-in search but you're not sacrificing any features.
bionicdude

Post by bionicdude »

i just factory flashed my pre as i experiment a lot and it was quite messy.
I just spent 10 mins trying to work out why i couldn't connect to my server when i knew every setting was correct.
I put all the same values into my browser and it worked fine...

You don't need the [http://] at the start of the host.

As a suggestion, you could maybe chop that off the start of the string variable if you see it (or somehow indicate to the end user that it's not required).

i'm back up and running now, so i'm feeling better :)
daveisadork
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by daveisadork »

OK guys, like I promised... now that SABnzbd+ 0.5.0 is out, I've been trying to submit this app to Palm to get it into the app catalog. As it turns out, signing up for the developer program isn't the easiest thing in the world. Actually, it's a monumental pain in the butt and I have been (unsuccessfully) fighting with it all day. I have 0.2.7 is rolled up and ready to go, and was hoping to make it the first release in the app catalog. However, it looks like I may need to go ahead and just post it here since I don't know how long it's going to be before I can actually get signed up for a dev account. We'll see what happens.

Oh, and 0.2.7 is a teeny tiny update. The only change is the more detailed error messages that FuManChuu asked for on the connection screen, so you're not missing out on anything big  :)
daveisadork
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by daveisadork »

OK, no more hassle to install the app! 0.2.7 is out and you can visit http://developer.palm.com/webChannel/in ... .sabnzbpre to install.