error renaming folder after unpack

Report & discuss bugs found in SABnzbd
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
binhex

error renaming folder after unpack

Post by binhex »

Version: 0.5.0 final
Install-type: windows zip
Skin (if applicable): Default
Firewall Software: None
Are you using IPV6? no
Is the issue reproducible? sometimes

hi i am getting a problem with the unpacking stage in sab, it looks like its unable to rename the folder once unpacking has completed i.e. from "_UNPACK_Some Name" to just "Some Name" and thus i am ending up with a _unpack_ prefixed to the folder name, wierdly enough this is not hapening every time, but has happened so far 3 times out of 4. The error im recieving is:-

2010-02-27 04:46:50,010 ERROR: Error renaming "H:\Downloads\Usenet\SABnzbd\Completed\_UNPACK_Some Name" to "H:\Downloads\Usenet\SABnzbd\Completed\Some Name"

my inital thoughts is maybe that unrar has not completed and thus the rename is happening too soon causing it to error, maybe its a timing issue, perhaps there should be a larger wait time between unrar finishing and the rename of the folder?, i dunno im sure you guys have a better clue.

one thing i can def say is that i have never seen this issue in ver 0.4.xx

hope this helps guys.
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Re: error renaming folder after unpack

Post by shypike »

There is some program trying to access the same folder,
maybe it's your virus scanner.
Virus scanners tend to have trouble with large files (like VOB and ISO).

Actually 0.5.0 is much better in this aspect than 0.4.x was.
0.5.0 retries the rename a number of times, but after sometime it gives up.

Windows is extremely annoying in this area.
If it only has the slightest suspicion that another program is accessing
a file or folder, any rename or delete is blocked.
Sinnocence

Post by Sinnocence »

Apologies for the old bump but is it possible to configure the number of retries or duration of attempts?

I used to download on my Win7 system without issue but after moving SAB to Windows Home Server this is happening almost all the time.
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by shypike »

No, we have too many options already.
You're better of with the existing option of not renaming at all.
See here: http://wiki.sabnzbd.org/configure-special
Sinnocence

Post by Sinnocence »

Thanks Shypike, forgot that option even existed - that should resolve it - thanks a lot!
Sinnocence

Post by Sinnocence »

Bump to confirm solution/workaround - running for a few days now without incident. Thanks Skypike.
monkeybubbles

Post by monkeybubbles »

I'm having this exact same problem on Windows Home Server, whereas I did not have it on Win7 previouisly. I'm on 0.5.2.  I suspect this has something to do with WHS "balancing" the files across the storage pool  (or otherwise modifying) after sabnzbd finishing unpacking, and locks the files before sabnzbd has a chance to rename them.

So if it is a WHS issue, I wonder if there is a more appropriate workaround within WHS instead of disabling the rename option in sabnzbd?
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by shypike »

I suspect it's a WHS problem indeed. I see it on my own WHS occasionally.
There's a "hidden" option to stop the renaming.
See: http://wiki.sabnzbd.org/configure-special
Kallaide

Post by Kallaide »

I thought I'd post here just to add a bit more information from me experience with this.

I'm using Windows 7 and have this same issue. However when looking at the History it states that it was unpacked and renamed properly even though it wasn't.

This causes an issue with SickBeards script since it's looking for the renamed folder (ini change should fix this completely) however it is nice to see the _failed_ folders though.

Hope this helps with debugging
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by shypike »

Windows is completely hopeless as far as folder renaming is concerned.
If it has the slightest suspicion that a program (like virus scanner, backup software)
looks at a folder, it blocks renaming.
Just use the "folder_rename = 0" option.
It will be a Config->Switches option in the next release.
thewusman

Post by thewusman »

Kallaide wrote: I thought I'd post here just to add a bit more information from me experience with this.

I'm using Windows 7 and have this same issue. However when looking at the History it states that it was unpacked and renamed properly even though it wasn't.

This causes an issue with SickBeards script since it's looking for the renamed folder (ini change should fix this completely) however it is nice to see the _failed_ folders though.

Same here.

Just reinstalled Windows 7 x64 ultimate due to new hardware upgrades, and put pretty much all the apps I had on, back.

For no obvious reason, SABnzbd says the movie or series is renamed correctly with no errors, but in the completed folders the prefix _UNPACK_ remains.

Only AV/anti-spyware I have is MS Security Essentials, and this happens even with that disabled/switched off.

Work around for the time being is folder_rename = 0.

Weird indeed ............. ???

EDIT:

Just found another post in the forum from 2009 saying it may be related to windows indexing service running on the SABnzbd download folder.

Discovered my download folder was being indexed. Turned it off so lets see what happens. I suspect this may be the culprit.
Last edited by thewusman on January 13th, 2011, 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by shypike »

thewusman wrote: Just found another post in the forum from 2009 saying it may be related to windows indexing service running on the SABnzbd download folder.
Discovered my download folder was being indexed. Turned it off so lets see what happens. I suspect this may be the culprit.
Thanks for the tip, hadn't thought about that.
It only illustrates my remark on Windows being hopeless in this area.
Actually, SABnzbd tries any rename action 15 times with 3 second intervals.

BTW: If you have logging set to "Debug" level, you should see this in the log file:
Retry rename OLDFOLDER to NEWFOLDER
If not present, then my assumption about the error code that Windows gives, is wrong.
epia

Post by epia »

thewusman wrote:
Kallaide wrote: I thought I'd post here just to add a bit more information from me experience with this.

Same here.

Just reinstalled Windows 7 x64 ultimate due to new hardware upgrades, and put pretty much all the apps I had on, back.

For no obvious reason, SABnzbd says the movie or series is renamed correctly with no errors, but in the completed folders the prefix _UNPACK_ remains.

Only AV/anti-spyware I have is MS Security Essentials, and this happens even with that disabled/switched off.

EDIT:

Just found another post in the forum from 2009 saying it may be related to windows indexing service running on the SABnzbd download folder.

Has disabling indexing for the download folder resolved the issue?
thewusman

Post by thewusman »

epia wrote:
thewusman wrote:

Same here.

EDIT:

Has disabling indexing for the download folder resolved the issue?
Yip.

100% working after disabling indexing on the drive/folder in question  :)
steppedup

Post by steppedup »

I had this same issue with Windows 7, 64bit.

No AVG, no Norton's No McAfee - just Microsoft Security Essentials.

I turned off Real Time Scan Protection, and this solved all my problems:

Folders not being renamed from Unpack to the final name, and some disappearing files as well.

However - do that with caution- I'm sitting behind a robust router that's locked down pretty tight.