MKV to M4V Universal Remux Post Processing

Come up with a useful post-processing script? Share it here!
vsixtyfour

MKV to M4V Universal Remux Post Processing

Post by vsixtyfour »

Hey Guys!

I know there are a few post processing options available and I have been reading for a while but I'm looking for a specific solution and I'm hoping one of the resident geniuses might be able to offer some guidance.
I'm currently using MkvТоMp4 v0.220a to manually convert my library over from MKV to M4V. This has been brilliant as it will acquire the meta data and remux instead of transcode (where possible) but I would love to automate the process, for SabNZBD/Sickbeard.

The reason for the remuxing is that I would like the video files to be available in my iTunes Library for use on my 3rd Gen Apple TVs around the house, but I also require compatibility for iPad.

If I'm not mistaken, the 3rd Gen Apple TV will pass the multichannel AC3 audio through the HDMI or Optical Audio out to amplifier which can then be decoded (my amp will support this) and works great.
However my concern is that I have more than one ATV which is not connected to an AMP (instead it is connected to each TV directly. As some of the TVs do not support AC3 I'm curious if it is possible to also embed an AAC Stereo audio track as a failover along side the AC3 and Video streams during the processing of the file. The second reason for the 2nd Audio track (Stereo) is to enable playback in the native Video App on the iPad.

The go would be to have SABNZBD remux the MKV to a M4V and the M4V container would hold:

A Remuxed Video Stream (no change simply copy 1:1 from the MKV to the M4V)
The Multichannel AC3 Stream (converted from DTS/DTS-MA if applicable to AC3)
An AAC Stereo stream (downmixed from either the original DTS/DTS-MA if applicable or AC3 audio stream)
+ any associated Subtitles
Meta data automatically acquired and added

I know its not a simple ask, but I figure I cant be the only one wanting to do this and I would love any ideas or best practices or if it has been done already?

Cheers!
herko

Re: MKV to M4V Universal Remux Post Processing

Post by herko »

+1!
w.eric

Post by w.eric »

yes please!! Need a script that will pass thru h264 and transcode only AC3 into AAC and remux them together for ATV3.

This will significantly cut down processing time especially for older Mac.
masterbassie

Post by masterbassie »

any update about this - definitely needed!

any help would be appreciated
gozu

Post by gozu »

I third this.