SABnzbd on NAS type devices.

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
relman
Release Testers
Release Testers

SABnzbd on NAS type devices.

Post by relman »

Hi All, I hope there are a few people out there running SABnzbd on a NAS device like a Linkstation, etc.

Can anyone tell me the type of speeds they are getting from these devices when downloading? The reason I ask is that until now I have run SABnzbd from a desktop PC/Server which works very well which I guess you would expect from a AMD Triple core 4gb ram system. Please note I am not expecting the earth just want to find out what others people are experiancing.

I have installed SABnzbd on my Freecom storage gateway (FSG). The download speeds range from 500kb/sec to 1000kb/sec.

SABnzbd on my desktop reaches over 6000kb/sec as I have a 50mbit connection. I'm looking at running from this type of device as I want to leave it on all the time and these little units only use something like 14-30watts where as a desktop is using over 200watts. I'm not some eco hippie its just why pay out on a large electric bill if I don't have to. One of these units could pay for themselves within a year. plus I like the idea of a 24/7 server as then any PC can access the contents in the house without having to have a PC on all the time.

I look forward to your responses.
Jonny

Re: SABnzbd on NAS type devices.

Post by Jonny »

I have it running on a Synology CS407 and find the speeds to the the same as you, anywhere between 500-1000 kbs.
When downloading direct to my computer i get my full 20 meg but not on the NAS.
I put this down to the processor and ram in the NAS itself.

I do not worry about it though as it is more convenient for me to have it running on the NAS. It downloads from RSS feeds while i am out at work, alseep or doing other crap so i am never just sat waiting for it.
It also leaves half my total bandwidth free for other users on the home network.
relman
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by relman »

When downloading the CPU doesn't go above 3% but the ram is maxed out by pyhthon which uses over 30mb. I added swap memory but python doesn't use it. Is there anyway to make sabnzbd make use of swap memory?
relman
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by relman »

Are there any users out there running SABnzbd on a NAS? Feedback such as;

Make
Model
Avg download from SABnzbd
File transfer speed from NAS to PC.
Internet speed

I'd be really greatful as I am looking to purchase a new NAS and I think this information could be useful to others. for example mine is;

Make: Freecome
Model: FSGv3 wireless 400gb
Avg download: ~500kb/sec (max peaks at 1000kb/sec)
File transfer: ~5-6MB/sec
Internet speed: 50mbit

thanks
relman
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by relman »

anyone? there must be some people that use SABnzbd on a NAS?
DeXeS
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by DeXeS »

Do you use ssl? ssl can take a lot from slower machines
anthony256

Post by anthony256 »

I use a Qnap box (the 6 bay one)
with SABnzbd.

Max out my connection ~990k/sec, with SSL on.

Once the download is done, I have 1 core of the NAS extract, the other core takes care of sharing/downloading at full speed. I used to use the -0t trick to use both cores of the NAS, but I noticed it slowed down and my streaming of 720p/1080p would start to fail.