Synology and Sabnzbd 0.6.1 - "cannot create folder" issue

Get help with all aspects of SABnzbd
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
grego77

Synology and Sabnzbd 0.6.1 - "cannot create folder" issue

Post by grego77 »

Hi,

I installed sabnzbd on my synology DS 207+ yesterday.
It is running fine except for one thing :

All downloads fail at the post processing level. I have the following error :
Post processing failed for "zzz" file. (Cannot create final folder /volume1/Perso/Top/Incoming/zzz)

Now this looks like a rights issue, but I can't see how to get around this issue...

I checked the rights in the "folder" menu in sabnzb ("Permissions for completed downloads") and it is et to 777, which seems to be fine to me...

Can someone help me on this ?

Thank you !!
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Synology and Sabnzbd 0.6.1 - "cannot create folder" issue

Post by shypike »

The "permissions" option in SABnzbd is used to set those right for new files.
SABnzbd still needs to have permission to create new folders in /volume1/Perso/Top/
or /volume1/Perso/Top/Incoming
This is your task.
Jand187

Post by Jand187 »

I have the same problem. Where can i specify which user sabnzbd uses? I can manually create the folder and there is only one user om my system.

I'm running sabnzbd on a newly reinstalled Mac mini.

EDIT:
I have the "Permissions for completed downloads" set to 777. SabNzbd is running on a Mac Mini (OSX 10.6.7) and the target folder is on my NAS.
Last edited by Jand187 on May 30th, 2011, 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by shypike »

SABnzbd has the privileges of the user account under which it runs.
How do you start it?
Jand187

Post by Jand187 »

Thx for your reply!

SABnzbd is started when the mac starts. I have added it to the list of items to start up, under preferences/accounts.

There is only one account in my system (as far as I know... I'm sorta new to OSX), and with that account I can manually create the folder - using the exact same name that fails in SABnzbd.
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by shypike »

What happens if you don't start it automatically, but manually?
Jand187

Post by Jand187 »

I have just shut SABnzbd down, and started it manually via the icon in the Dock. I then used CouchPotato (as in the previous cases) to have SABnzbd download a movie. The problem is still there. No difference :-(.
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by shypike »

Can you create folders on and copy files manually to the external drive?
You say you re-installed the miniMac.
Do access rights on the external drive match the new user credentials on the miniMac?

Also, the basic right should be OK *before* SABnzbd starts.
The 777 setting is only useful for folders and files that SABnzbd creates.
It cannot force access if SABnzbd has no rights to create the primary folder.
Last edited by shypike on May 30th, 2011, 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jand187

Post by Jand187 »

Yes i can create folders manually on the network share.

The problem however, is gone now. I didn't exactly change anything, but I did restart the mac a few times to check the startup of Sabnzbd. It can now do the postprocessing of the downloaded movie.

Thank you for your help and for spending time creating this awesome piece of software. Is there any way to donate to help the further development os SAbnzbd? It is definately worth supporting ;-).
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by shypike »

Jand187 wrote: The problem however, is gone now. I didn't exactly change anything, but I did restart the mac a few times to check the startup of Sabnzbd.

Thank you for your help and for spending time creating this awesome piece of software. Is there any way to donate to help the further development os SAbnzbd? It is definately worth supporting ;-).
Even Macs can be cured by rebooting :) they're not going the Windows way are they ? :)
It could be a timing issue, in that SABnzbd start before the drive is mounted.
Although with 0.6.2 it should not be a problem for the "complete" folder.
It still is for the "temporary download folder" ("incomplete") which is best kept locally.

There's a link at the top of this page "Contribute to SABnzbd".
There's more than one way to contribute though.
We still have some incomplete translations.
https://translations.launchpad.net/sabnzbd
Jand187

Post by Jand187 »

Just some info:

I don't think there's a timing issue, as the problem was still there even after Sabnzbd was shut down and started manually. I did restart the mac a few times without fixing the problem, so the cause eludes me.

My temp folder is local, so that should not be the cause either and I have been using 0.6.2 since i reinstalled the mac.

This is just ment for info in future bughunting efforts.
poiuqwer

Post by poiuqwer »

I got the same error message on my Synology DS110j with sabnzbd 0.6.2 (from synoblog.superzebulon.org).  The fix for me was to put in full paths (NOT relative paths) in the "Folder/Path" field in Categories under Config.  I used relative paths initially since it says "Relative folders are based on: /volume1/Folder".
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by shypike »

poiuqwer wrote: I used relative paths initially since it says "Relative folders are based on: /volume1/Folder".
They are, but there might still be a problem when this folder is not available at startup time.
For the final ("complete" and category folders) this isn't an issue, but it is for "incomplete".
gamelover

Re: Synology and Sabnzbd 0.6.1 -

Post by gamelover »

I dont know if anyone else has come up with a solution for this but in my case the problem was that /volume1/downloads/incoming was the incorrect path. On my diskstation the download folder was name Download (capital D) so once I changed the paths to /volume1/Downloads/... then they worked fine.
andypandyswe

Re: Synology and Sabnzbd 0.6.1 -

Post by andypandyswe »

I have the same problem but not all downloads gets an error it happens for NZB's from both sickbeard and couchpotato but like i said, most of them go through without problem.

» PostProcessing was aborted (Cannot create final folder /volume1/video/TV/[ShowName]/Season 2/[Filename])

I've got sabnzbd, sickbeard and couchpotato running on a Synology DS1512+

If I check the "owner" of a file or folder that's been successfully downloaded it's "sabnzbd". Older folders have mostly "boxeebox" as owner (I think I manually made it so during setup thinking it was necessary).

For the NZB causing the error message above the Show folder is owned by "boxeebox" and also the season folder was owned by "boxeebox". I copied the episodes in the season folder to a temporary space, deleted the season folder, tried the NZB again and it worked just fine. A "season 2" folder was created and sabnzbd is the owner. (I then copied the old episodes back). The showfolder owned by "boxeebox" that contains the seasonfolder apparently didn't cause any problems, only the season folder.

How do I fix this? I cannot change folder owner to sabnzbd as it's not visible in any dropdown list...
Looking at the answers above... I have relative paths, mainly because I don't know the format of absolute ones.
All my media is in volume 1/video/[TV|Film] so is that \\NameofNAS\video... or what?